Some friends of mine have difficulty with the term 'man crush' as though there is something too ambiguous about what such a feeling toward a male member of the species might mean or they only want to associate "crush" solely in a romantic way. My friends, this need not be so! I am certain that persons other than myself have exposited a sufficient defense for appropriate usage of the term, so I won't proceed to give a detailed apology. However, let me say, briefly, that a man crush doesn't invoke sexual or even romantic feelings toward the object of said crush. It simply denotes a very high admiration for the man...a respect for how he treats the love of his life, how he dedicates himself entirely to his enterprise or profession, how he is particularly successful in such dedication, and perhaps even of his devoted faith to God. Those (still living) for whom I have a 'man crush' would include (but not be limited to): Albert Pujols, Bono, Joe Dongell, Brett Favre, Kevin Anderson, Flea Market Montgomery guy, the list goes on...
In this post I want to quickly identify another, Mat Kearney, on whom my 'man crush' has grown over the last few weeks as I have listened to his new album and pondered the meaning of some of the lyrics in the songs. One song, in particular, has drawn a good bit of my attention as I have found myself desiring to give and show the type of love he describes much more to my wife, yet the lyrics can also be applied (in a more limited fashion, as there are romantic overtones that wouldn't relay to other relationships) to the type of sacrificial love I would give for my children. Reflecting on this expanded application caused me to reflect on the sacrificial nature of the love and grace of God (our Father) to redeem us as we were "lost out in this world," even though for sure God did more than just "crawl from New York to California"...still the picture is of one who will not stop at anything to be with his or her beloved. It reminds me, once again, that God's grace whilst free, is also a costly gift. With that said, I would highly recommend you get this song (if you don't have it already) from iTunes, Rhapsody, or some other medium. Below find the lyrics to this truly beautiful song...
"New York to California"
Under the TV lights, you fell asleep again
Don't know, I'm writing this song about you
There's a picture of a Hollywood sign, reflecting off your skin
I don't want to live another day without you
You woke up and said, "Baby I, had one of those dreams again
The rain came down, and I lost you in the wind."
You said something about don't leave, before you fell back asleep
Before I could sing my song back to you.
But you could find your self lost out in this world,
And I would find a way to get back to your side;
No mountains to high, no stone is too small
I'll build a bridge through the fire, for you I would crawl
From New York to California
I could hear you softly breathing, oh what you do to me
But baby I could climb down into your dreams
I'd build a ladder down through the clouds
Where the storms Is raging now
I don't want to sing another song without you
If you find your self lost out in this world,
Then I will find a way to get back to your side;
No mountains to high, no stone is too small
I'll build a bridge through the fire, for you I would crawl
From New York to California
07 June 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
This made me cry! I love you! Miss you so much... isn't it June 16th yet?
I've been to that Flea Market, but never met the Flea Market man (I used to live in Montgomery) And yes, it is totally appropriate to have a man-crush. :)
Good evening, man-friend. I simply do not agree that a "man-crush" is a helpful term ... too many images of things unwanted spring to mind.
But you're right, his music is rather endearing to the lady-folk.
Post a Comment