05 June 2009

A New Grace Quote?

I don't recall ever having heard grace described in quite this way, but the ideas I put together in this quip are not original in me as they are primarily through the writings of Wesley and Bonhoeffer, but I have been dwelling on the nature of grace and particularly how commerce language is sometimes applied thereto. I posted this as a status on facebook a few days ago, but thought I'd share it here, too.

"The grace of God is free, yet costly, but not cheap."

In a sermon 'Free Grace' Wesley asserts that God's grace is free for all and free in all. His stress is to show that grace, in all the ways it is applied, is a sheer gift of God. The language of "for" and "in" should remind us of the concepts Wesley had of justification and of sanctification. The saving work of God is both for us and in us, and it is free for the receiving. There is nothing to do that earns it.

On the other hand, the grace that so saves is also costly. It is costly not only in terms of what it cost the Son, but also in our own lives. The grace of God at work in us, whilst free, is also going to do a work that will transform us...and that transformation is costly, asking us to deny ourselves, take up our own cross and follow him.

Hence, it is not a cheap grace that God gives. Bonhoeffer says quite a bit about this.

Your thoughts on this idea??

No comments: