14 May 2009

Random Memory

I lied awake the other night when suddenly a nostalgic memory came to mind. It was the occasional rodeo that occurred in the living room of my grandparents. I'll try to set the scene for you as much as possible.

The living room had two large openings: one that led to the kitchen and one that led to the hallway. The second generation, which was essentially my father though on occasion also consisted of one of my uncles, would be the make-believe bull at the rodeo. The third generation (i.e., grandkids) would be the cowboys. I only say 'cowboys' because I don't remember the one granddaughter ever participating, though she can correct me if I'm mistaken. Occasionally when the second generation needed a break, an older grandson would assume the responsibilities of the bull.

Upon immediate entrance to the living room from the hallway there would be two chairs between which you would go to enter the arena. My Papaw would be in the seat to the right, which sat adjacent to the piano. Papaw would take the padded pillow from the piano bench and use it as the gate keeping the bull and rider in place until it was time to enter the arena. He also served as the announcer proclaiming the extreme levels of difficulty to ride the bull for 8 seconds. Then he would pull the gate and the rider (e.g., myself) would hold on to the back of the shirt of the bull for the ride. The remainder of the family would be cheering on the rider, praying that he would 'stay on' and not bust his head open against the coffee table, which was near the center of the arena.

There's not an intended theological significance to this post, but it was a very happy memory that brought a large smile to my face (and maybe a tear or two to the eye) in the midst of a rather stressful last few weeks. Wow, it's been over a month since I posted. I'm not feeling particularly inspired to blog a lot recently, but if that changes, well, I guess you'll know.

Happy reading...and riding! :)

No comments: