For the next few days I'll be narrowing down and preparing to turn in my dissertation proposal for admission into the program I am planning on beginning this fall. I'm currently debating between two topics: the theological and historical connections between Wesley and Irenaeus; or, the theological and historical connections between Wesley and C.S. Lewis. Although I would love to research either (and, who knows, maybe will do the other in a later project), I think I would rather do the latter, but am not sure as to its receptivity as a Ph.D. topic for Theological Studies. I truly think it holds weight, but am also aware that most scholarship regards Lewis as a philosopher and literary critic, rather than a "theologian." I think he promotes a beautiful picture of redemption and sanctification not only in his fictional writings but especially in his philosophical (or theological, if you will) contributions.
An interesting point is that I think both Wesley and Lewis share affinity in their theology with Irenaeus. Maybe a chapter could be devoted to that....hmmm...(Chris L. helped plant this idea in my mind. Thanks!).
I'm also working on my resume for potential adjunct teaching opportunities as early as this fall. The courses would be both in Biblical and Theological Studies.
If you are a praying person, I would appreciate yours for my mind and heart as I weight out these ideas and decide which to pursue and how, and as I develop my resume for the potential teaching option(s). Thanks!
24 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Both sound of interest to me! :)
Post a Comment