I've recently picked up (again) my copy of the Ancient Christian Devotional to read Scripture along with the calendar of the Church year. This week's Old Testament passage is Genesis 12.1-4, the calling of Abraham. St. Augustine had some simple, yet wise, words to share about this passage that I thought I would pass along (emphasis is mine):
'The right thing to do, brothers and sisters, is to believe God before he pays up anything, because just as he cannot possibly lie, so he cannot deceive. For he is God. That's how our ancestors believed him. That's how Abraham believed him. There's a faith for you that really deserves to be admired and made widely known. He had received nothing from him, and he believed his promise. We do not yet believe him, though we have already received so much. Was Abraham ever in a position to say to him, "I will believe you, because you promised me that and paid up"? No, he believed from the very first command given, without having received anything else at all.' Sermon 113A.10.
In setting our face toward Jerusalem this Lenten season, I strive for this: Trust God in his commands, promises, and calling, regardless of where they might lead. 'Go to a place I will tell you about...and I will bless you to be a blessing.' Our trust, obedience, and following the call will take us places that will be unfamiliar and at times uncomfortable and unfriendly, just as they were for Abraham and Jesus (in setting his face toward Jerusalem) before us, but it is the right thing to do...trust!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment