Matthew 5.9: Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God.
I've always been drawn to this particular beatitude. My name, Jeffrey, means "peace of God." I always strive to pursue peace with everyone, as much as it is possible.
But today something new hit me about this passage. The thought hadn't occurred to me before but I noticed that later in the chapter (5.45), the footnotes in the Study Bible I'm reading says "The words children of commonly means persons who show the quality named or trait of character implied." That brought to mind an important connection that can be made here with how we interpret the meaning of 'image of God' (or perhaps) 'likeness of God.' Peacemaking is a continuing action of pursuing reconciliation with our enemies. I think that 5.44-45 (But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven...) is significant for the life of a peacemaker. When we pursue peace and reconciliation with others, we act like our Father in heaven and grow into the likeness of his Son who acted on the Father's behalf to reconcile the world, which was at enmity with God, back to God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment