One of the first books I have investigated in my research of atonement theology in Methodism (particularly focused on the views/emphases of Wesley and three Methodist theologians: John Miley, Albert Knudson, and Larry Shelton) is Theological Transition in American Methodism: 1790-1935, by Robert E. Chiles. I realize that the title itself may put some of my audience to sleep; if you're still with me, however, I'd like to share an interesting way to posit a Wesleyan view of humanity expressed by Chiles. (The reason I am researching this particular work is because he addresses the theology of Miley and Knudson at length.)
Taken from page 29: 'In Methodist theology the doctrine of sin is particularly sensitive to changes in theological climate because it joins an Augustinian-Calvinist understanding of man's corruption and helplessness to a Wesleyan stress on the universal influence of prevenient grace. Because its view of man is such a dialectical composite of sin and grace, Methodism must perennially resist the inviting temptation prematurely to cover the scourge of sin with the solace of grace and, further, to attribute to man a capacity which properly belongs to grace. Either concession produces a radically different picture of man's posture before God. Wesley's doctrine of sin is not distinctive. But the way it is kept in balance with grace is, and the balance is precarious.'
What seems to have taken shape in circles of Methodism is the neglect of the 'dialectical composite' such that we have often capitulated to the 'inviting temptation...to cover the scourge of sin with the solace of grace.' I find the composite of sin and grace favourable as a description of our posture before God; but I also value contextualization such that we are mindful of words and metaphors that aren't helpful in given situations, toward particular persons or communities. So (if you also value that composite) how do you appropriate that in your sharing good news with your neighbours?
11 February 2009
Chiles on Wesleyan Anthropology
Labels:
atonement,
grace,
John Wesley,
Knudson,
Miley,
prevenient grace,
Shelton
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment