My wife hasn't been reading my blog...I can't say that I blame her. While I hope the things about which I have written can be made pragmatic in some way, I do realize that much of it is presenting ideas or speculation. Now this practice of working through thoughts and ideas is important and indicates some of the development taking place in my mind, but I'd like to take an intermission and tell a story...probably a lengthy story since it is my story. I was reminded tonight of a part of my story of which I have rarely spoken to people...a part that is rather interesting because it was a decisive shift in the direction my life was to head (and I'm not talking about a particularly 'religious' or 'spiritual' experience). A friend encouraged me to be creative with this. I thought of the way the gospel authors wrote their accounts of Jesus' life...not exactly a modern 'biography' that sticks strongly to chronology and presents a linear story. The gospel writers, I believe, had the freedom to present Jesus' story thematically and place the encounters, teachings, healings, etc. in such a way as to tell their audience something profound about Jesus...not just 'recording events' but doing so to convince us of something: about who Jesus is, about what discipleship or following Jesus looks like, etc.
I am not intending to put myself on the same pedestal as the gospel writers, but I'd like to tell my story more thematically than chronologically. That's not to say chronology won't play a significant part, for it will, nor to say the themes are not inter-related, for they are. However, I'd like to take some time to think about how to tell my story. Not that any of you are ever on the edge of your seats waiting for my next post, but I might take a few days to develop how I want to tell it (or at least begin to develop it). I may digress and post the occasional speculative or theological piece, but I think most of the next several posts will be about the journey I have experienced thus far in life. I'll try to keep the titles similar or at least their 'labels.' Pax!
13 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment