19 September 2008

Manna

Providence...it's not just a town in Rhode Island.

I got back into The Ancient Christian Devotional last night and the theme for the week is "God's Providence." This devotional follows the lectionary calendar and the OT passage for this week is Exodus 16, where the Israelites complain about now having all the things they "need" and that it would've been better had they stayed in Egypt to suffer than to "die in the wilderness." God heard their "grumbling" and provided what we call "manna" (lit. "what is it?") (which some think may be "recycled food" from the quails-if you know what I mean- in v.13; but that's beside the point...or maybe not...hmmm.).

Reflecting on where God has provided throughout my life and for my family, I think about the "quails" through whom God has provided what was needed...family members, church family, community help, among others. "Quails"...a troubling metaphor for someone (me) who's allergic to poultry, but at least they weren't eaten, right? As I reflect, I think not only of how God came to me or my family through such means, but how I've been called to serve in that capacity as well...a life of giving and receiving (not taking), according to need. What will the quail look like this time? It matters not; Lord, I know You provide. Enable me to see where You will.

The devotional has passages from Church Fathers about the Scriptures. Ambrose brings the "manna" to the Eucharistic and Christocentric understanding. Hear what he says about "manna": "'This is the bread that God gave' to you 'to eat.' Hear who this bread is: 'The word,' Scripture says, 'which God has ordained.' This then is the ordination of God; this food nourishes the soul of the wise. It illuminates and it sweetens, resplendent with the gleam of truth and soothing, as if with a honeycomb, by the sweetness of different virtues and the word of wisdom. For 'good words are sweeter than a honeycomb,' as it is written in Proverbs."

Did you see that, not "what" but "who" this bread is. Philippians 4 reminds us that God will provide all of our need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus! Amen! Now I crave the Eucharist!!

No comments: